Wednesday, November 11, 2015

WHY THE ABILITY TO HAVE MORE DOESN'T MEAN YOU WANT MORE

Ever since I moved to Toronto, I can say without hesitation that I've been fortunate enough to have pretty much whatever I wanted. I thought I knew what that comfort was before, but I didn't really...

I thought success was defined by things... What kind of car you drove, how big your house was, what brand of clothes you wore, etc. I remember when I bought my first flat screen TV and king sized bed. I remember how good I felt making those purchases, because in my mind, I felt that I had made it. When I met my husband and we bought an Audi, GAME OVER.

We moved into a three bedroom home with so much space. A home with an extra room for guests. A home with two fantastic patios, a huge open kitchen, AND ROOM FOR ALL OF OUR THINGS. Soon we were buying things just to fill the space. Then something started happening. I had anxiety because we had TOO many things. Too many clothes. Too many electronics and gadgets. My husband's huge, burgeoning shoe collection was making me mad. Our daughter had too many toys, things she never played with, and they were everywhere. A reminder of success began to be my enemy. I started having trouble getting restful sleep because of the energy of so many things.

Something had to change.

Our beautiful boxer boy Jameson was diagnosed with lymphoma in June. Going up multiple flights of stairs in and out of our house - in time - wasn't going to be the easiest thing, and I know that carrying a 60-pound dog up and down stairs wasn't going to work for us. As it is, carrying our 24 pound daughter Joeli up and down the stairs - with her stroller and gear - started to become a drag.

A photo posted by Melissa Bunting (@melissabuntcake) on

I talked my husband into downsizing. At first, he was hesitant. He thought we were managing our home just fine. But I was persistent.

It's been a couple of weeks since we downsized into a home that has no stairs. It's quite a bit smaller. Moving in and finding a place for everything has been daunting and overwhelming. I wondered right away if I had made a mistake...

Maybe I shouldn't have persuaded him to move. But something magical started to take place.

Comfort.

I realized that purging and donating things that other people could use more made me SO happy. Having less is making me happy. I am sleeping better. I am happier with less.

What an awesome life lesson to FINALLY learn. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...